Author Topic: Colour ringed Turnstone  (Read 1217 times)

Derickp

• View Profile
Colour ringed Turnstone
« on: February 11, 2019, 01:33:02 AM »
Saw these Turnstones and 7 others all marked with colour rings. Having checked for Turnstones on the European Colour Ring Birding site I find reference to ...Red Flag on right Tibia with combinations of other colours as being rung in Northumberland, Durham and North East England. However these both have the Red Flag on the left leg and unstated colour combinations. I cant find reference to this. Is it just a mistake by the ringers or are there other records of that combination?

IanF

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bird Forum
Re: Colour ringed Turnstone
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2019, 08:02:44 PM »
Possible it's a recent scheme combination say used in 2018/19 and that cr-birding hasn't been updated yet. Especially if you've seen several cr birds together. Could be a family group or simply that they've recently been colour ringed and moved on. I've had this happen several times over the years.

I see that an Irish scheme uses red flags on left leg - http://cr-birding.org/node/1473 - although two c rings per leg plus the flag- might be worth contacting them in case they're now using three rings. Mistakes do happen but they're few and far between and I'd have thought less so with cr schemes which would stipulate the position of the flag for that scheme.

Damian

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 09:11:25 PM »
Hi Derick,
These will have been ringed in or near Scarborough. The contact for the sightings is Lucy Murgatroyd.
I don't have her email but she can be contacted via her Twitter account which is @LucyMurg

Cheers
Damian

Derickp

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2019, 04:47:31 AM »
Many Thanks for the info Ian. Will look into it.

Derickp

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2019, 04:52:09 AM »
Thanks Damian, that is spot on. They have been ringed at Scarborough.

robyoung

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2019, 06:57:10 PM »
I spotted a colour ringed Turnstone at Redcar on July last year. I never did find it on CR-Birding but I'm glad to see it is probably from the same group.

Derickp

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2019, 09:43:55 PM »
Certainly Looks the same group Rob. That's a little bit more we have learned.

Damian

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2019, 10:58:38 AM »
Rob,
I saw the same bird at Redcar several times last year. It had been ringed at Scarborough on the  21st March 2018

Regards
Damian

robyoung

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2019, 01:35:09 PM »
Thanks for your comments Derek and Damian. I am now hoping someone will spot them in their Arctic breeding grounds.